chuckles
I'm totally new to DCC and modelling for that matter.

I have some 23 Cobalt digital IP motors but cannot work out how to give/change addresses. I'm using a Digitrax Zephyr DCS52. (Also a Gaugemaster Prodigy express) 

It possible using the above? If so how do I do it, if not what do I need in simple terms please. Motor works manually but I want to use some automation.
Digitrax manuals online refer to the older controller not the 52.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks
Quote 0 0
Briperran
Chuckles both your systems are nmra compliiant so you will be able to set and change addresses someone with a similar system will be the best to answer exactly how you do it on those systems it should really be covered well in the system manuals. You mention automation probably best you elaborate more what you mean by automation are you talking software i.e railroad &co Itrain sort of control or a hard wired solution if that is known you can be given the best answer to apply a solution that will be the best for you and save having to change a lot of things later.

Brian
Quote 1 0
RichardBrighton
The Gaugemaster Prodigy Express doesn't have accessory control (only loco control), so you won't be able to set or control the Cobalt motors with this system. You can if you use our Alpha system in combination with it, but not with the Gaugemaster system out of the box.

Check your Digitrax system manual on how to send an accessory command - then everything should fall into place. You'll find the Cobalt Digital user guide quite friendly when it comes to addressing the motors - any questions, just drop us a line or call us on 01729 821080 any day between 10 and 5.

https://www.dccconcepts.com/manual/owners-manual-cobalt-ip-digital-point-motors/
Quote 1 0
chuckles
Many thanks for reply (both).  

I have read the manual (even though it's written in American) and still cant find what I'm looking for.  I can see how (on the DCS52) I select a point and throw it but not how to give or read an address. Looked online and in the manual and Digtrax website (which seems to need being updated) but still cannot find what I want to do most info seems to be about loco programming.  Only installed one of 23 motors so far and that works fine in manual control. (touching wires together)  
All the DCC Concepts wiring diagrams are great It's really just the Digitrax part I cant get my head round.

I would have gone down the lever route but due to the "China syndrome" I guess they will appear sometime never now.

I really hope DCC Concepts decide to move the manufacturing base away from China after all this. (along with all other companies) I would rather pay a little more than give them the business. 

Thanks
Brian
Quote 0 0
AHJAY
Always use the instructions for the poroduct you are using, not the controller instructions.

Have you read OUR manual - the one written for DCCconcepts Cobalt motors? It gives clear instructions on how addresses are set.

Basically, put the switch into learn mode, act as if actually changing the turnout at the address you want the motor to use and then return the switch on the motor to the run position.

regards, Ahjay
Quote 0 0
JonD
chuckles wrote:

I really hope DCC Concepts decide to move the manufacturing base away from China after all this. (along with all other companies) I would rather pay a little more than give them the business. 


That would be great chuckles,  but  after being in the electronics manufacturing industry myself for 40 years,  realistically you would likely be looking at least double the retail price for starters.  UK simply does not have a large enough electronics manufacturing base these days to viably make these sorts of relatively "low cost"  consumer type of electronics.  And it's not just that, it's also all the little bits and bobs and plastic casings etc that need injection moulding and aluminium extrusions,  that the Chinese seem to be able to do for not much more than the cost of the raw materials...!  But I do wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. Hopefully, as you say,  this virus mess may cause a re-think. 
Quote 0 0
AHJAY
No, that will never happen.... both for the reasons stated by Jon and the fact that the our manufacturers, just people like you and me, and normally both on the ball and positively responsive to our requests, are no more responsible for this than Bob from Birmingham.

Nature is a cruel thing sometimes, but we must respond to the reality rather than try to lay blame elsewhere.

Kind regards, Ahjay
Quote 2 0
chuckles
Many thanks for all replies.  
AHJAY wrote:
No, that will never happen.... both for the reasons stated by Jon and the fact that the our manufacturers, just people like you and me, and normally both on the ball and positively responsive to our requests, are no more responsible for this than Bob from Birmingham.

Nature is a cruel thing sometimes, but we must respond to the reality rather than try to lay blame elsewhere.

Kind regards, Ahjay


Thanks for the reply  We will agree to disagree on that one.
Quote 0 0
chuckles
AHJAY wrote:
Always use the instructions for the poroduct you are using, not the controller instructions.

Have you read OUR manual - the one written for DCCconcepts Cobalt motors? It gives clear instructions on how addresses are set.

Basically, put the switch into learn mode, act as if actually changing the turnout at the address you want the motor to use and then return the switch on the motor to the run position.

regards, Ahjay


Many thanks Ajay.  Nothing wrong with DDC Concepts instructions it's the buttons to press on the Digitrax and the sequence I was unsure of.
I have had a reply on another forum which gave me enough clues to crack it from another chap who had the same problem.

Regards

Brian
Quote 0 0
chuckles
Many thanks to al who replied. 

Found a solution from a chap on the Digitrax forum.  I'm obviously not alone with this question.  It was to do with repetitive button pressing required on the Digitrax and where to repeat the full sequence (as covered by the DCC concepts instructions).  It confused me further as what I was doing before let me operate the motor but only for one cycle.

Thanks all

Brian
Quote 0 0
Bunkerbarge


What ever your opinions on China nowadays I cannot help but feel that, when this is all over, there is going to be a very strong global backlash to Chinese produced goods and there are going to be some vendors who might have to rethink where they source their manufactured items from.
Quote 2 0
chuckles
Agree with all you say.
Quote 0 0