Bunkerbarge Show full post »
Bunkerbarge
So after modifying the first platform to angle the leading edge, adding a block and tackle to the end of the ladder and a cleat to the side of the gas holder to tie the rope up to it looks reasonably feasible.  Weathering consisted of rubbing the paint away on the landings to expose the wooden planking, a little bit of light pigment to simulate some paint fading and some black pigment to simulate some soot deposits and then the vents at the top were filled with a dark wash to emphasise the depth between the stays.

Next is to have a go at fitting it to the gas works base and return attention to the very long front wall.

P1000203.jpg 


P1000204.jpg 

Quote 3 0
Bunkerbarge
And just a couple of final shots, the first one of the gas holder next to the very reason for the whole gas works project, the staircase newel post, and then doing its job of covering it up.  Then one in place on the gas works base to show how it fits in with the rest of the gas works structures.

P1000207.jpg 


P1000208.jpg 


P1000211.jpg 


P1000212.jpg 
Quote 3 0
Bunkerbarge
I feel recently that I have been doing quite a bit of work on the gasworks area but don't seem to have a great deal to show for it.  I think ground cover, particularly detailed areas as opposed to ploughed fields, can be quite labour intensive.

Anyway the biggest job for now is working on the perimeter wall.  I have built the area around the boiler house and fixed it in position and am now progressing the final painting.  The main front wall however is a different story as it is rather a long piece.  I decided to build it in one bit off the board to make painting considerably easier before finally sticking it into position.  The wall, in line with all the others is a Ratio parapet wall kit hacked around a little.  I have only used one side of the wall detail to make it more flexible and to make it go a lot further.  Luckily you get additional copings in the kit to help with this.  Anyway when everything was glued together it was given an all over coat of Humbrol 70 acrylic and, when dry, a mortar coloured wash.  When this was dry I removed the wash from the surface of the brick leaving it in the mortar only.  This was particularly time consuming.  Next the copings will be painted with a Lifecolour rust highlight, which is a perfect terracotta colour, before some final details and washes.

The ground cover was given a coat of the new AK Interactive ground cover, which is basically an acrylic brown with grit in it and, when dry, enamel washes, black and dust pigments were all used to give it a bit of life.  The area around the side of the boiler house was given a pile of chippings painted up to look like an ash tip.  Coal was liberally scattered around before blending in with pigments.

I then started the process of placing each building on the board and blending it in with the ground works with pigments and washes to ensure the continuity hides the joints completely.  This will be done individually with all the various structures.

P1000213.jpg 

P1000214.jpg 

P1000215.jpg 

P1000216.jpg 

P1000217.jpg 


Quote 4 0
Julian
Looking good BB

J
Quote 0 0
Robin Sundt Echini
Fantastic attention to detail!
Quote 0 0