Bunkerbarge Show full post »
Mac-
Looking good, it always amazes how lights in model buildings in the dark make it look even more realistic.
Quote 0 0
AHJAY
I think its perhaps more the level of the light vs the position. I'd increase the LED resistor value by several times its current one and see - perhaps even if U are using say 1k now, move to 10k or 20k to see the result. With steam loco lamps I have gone above 40k sometimes...

regards, Ahjay
Quote 0 0
Bunkerbarge
Thanks for the thought Ahjay.  This is the Just Plug system though so you can control the intensity with a variable resistor built into the distribution boxes.  I did move the light to put it above the window frame rather than directly above in the ceiling and will play with the intensity when everything is finally in place on the board,  What I have also noticed is that the intensity varies when you change over to mains power so I will have to play with things to balance them all out when things are finally fixed.

So with the light in a better location it was time to put the wooden roof in place and then make a decision as to how to finish the roof.  I am not the greatest fan of the LCC roofing as it is very regular and doesn't represent tiling as well as I would like so I thought this was an opportunity for a play with something new.  I am not too keen on the plastic sheeting either as I don't find the definition very crisp so I thought I would have a go at tiling myself from scratch.  The ultimate has to be individual tiles but I compromised by cutting strips of matt photo paper and cutting tiles across half of the width.  These were then laid over each other with staggered joints, glued down with watered down PVA and then, when dry,  the edges trimmed to give a slight overhang to the bargeboards.  I do like the nice crisp detail this creates and slightly imperfect character but is is a very labour intensive process and I'm glad I didn't start with a large roof! I'm not sure if I'll do it again, I'll decide when I see the final painted result.  I still need a coping, which I think will be a lead flashing again.

P1070270.jpg 

P1070271.jpg 

P1070273.jpg   
Quote 1 0
Bunkerbarge
OK Time to put this one to bed.  The roof got a coat of mid grey acrylic followed by a black wash, a lighter grey dry brushing and a bit of pigment streaking.  The walls received a little pigment streaking and the doors and windows were faded with a light grey pigment.  I think the light works better lower down and to the front.  I'm not completely happy with the roof but I learned a lot from the exercise, possibly enough to know not to do it on a large roof!!

P1070276.jpg 

P1070278.jpg 
Quote 3 0
Julian
That's a really good representation of slate tiles.  The light reflects off them in such an amazing variety of greys, from almost black to the palest of greys, which you have produced so well.

J
Quote 1 0
Bunkerbarge
Thanks Julian, much appreciated.  
Quote 0 0
Mac-
I think the slates look really good, fascia board round the building might give the roof some depth.
Quote 0 0
Bunkerbarge
Mac- wrote:
I think the slates look really good, fascia board round the building might give the roof some depth.


I put barge boards on the side but you can't see them in the shots.  I'll get a side shot tomorrow.
Quote 1 0
Bunkerbarge
Just a couple of shots from the side so you can see the barge boards.  I may have left the overhang of the slates a little too much.  If I cut them back I'll never paint up the edge again to match up so I think I'll leave them as they are.

P1070279.jpg 

P1070280.jpg 
Quote 2 0
Bunkerbarge
I've been playing around for a while now while I wonder just what to do with this last bit of the gas works base.  It had to have a goods entrance, hence the goods office behind the gates but what about the remaining area?  I played around with a couple of platforms but was not too happy until I tried a Dapol platform kit.  It is particularly narrow so fits in the space perfectly and I could decide on how many I wanted to put together to fit the best.  Two lengths was spot on so I carefully assembled the bits trying to straighten them as I went along and put two flat ends on rather than the ramp included in the kit.  Again I could not help but wonder just how old the moulds are that made this kit.  I certainly remember this as an Airfix kit when I was in my teens so we are looking at least 50 years plus!

Anyway a little bit of detail and a paint job should help it to fit in and a goods crane will be added to the end.  The final structure is another Bachmann resin offering to fill in as  a metering house and distribution block cover.

Things are falling into place.

P1070282.jpg 

P1070284.jpg 

P1070283.jpg 

P1070285.jpg 
Quote 1 0
Robin Sundt Echini
Its coming together - but that platform is far too pristine! 😇
Quote 1 0
Bunkerbarge
Its coming together - but that platform is far too pristine! 😇


As we used to say the the engine room crew in the good old days, "If it doesn't move, paint it!...............If it does move, wait for it to stop, then paint it!"
Quote 2 0