"Hayling Island" 96/115/359/499
The first part of my 00gauge layout represents the South Hayling Station, a few hundred yards from where I grew up. The engines on this line were known as “Hayling Billys”, but were of course A1/X 0-6-0 Terriers designed by William Stroudley and built at the Brighton Works. These little engines ran the branch line from 1890 until closure in 1963.
Between 1874 and 1890, the Hayling Branch used a Stewart Sharp 2-4-0 tank engine called “Hayling Island”. This engine was built in Manchester for the LB&SCR and delivered to Kensington on 30th September 1869 as No.96. In January 1872, Stroudley fitted a cab, added a dome over the firebox, lengthened the side tanks to hold 410 gallons and provided a shorter copper-capped chimney. It was transferred to the Hayling branch in 1874 and renumbered 115. It was renumbered again to 359 in June 1877 and finally it was renumbered 499 in January 1886.
In 1889, the engine was returned to the Brighton works where it was rebuilt as a 2-4-2 with a small saloon behind the bunker, leaving the shop in January 1890 as No. 481 “Inspector”. It was sold for scrap in February 1899 having done 292,694 miles.
Only one photograph appears to exist of “Hayling Island”, then numbered 359, waiting in Hayling Station with a rake of four wheel coaches.
Hattons recently announced their “Genisis” four and six wheel coaches, similar to the ones in the picture above and I have a set on pre-order. So, what I really need is a model of “Hayling Island” to pull them. Some research on the internet indicated that, although there were some kits available in the past, nobody does one now so, the only way that I’m going to get one is to scratch build it.
Now I am really going outside my comfort zone! All very well to assemble a kit, but to make it from scratch – where do I begin?
While pondering the daunting task of making it, I also started to think about livery – including the question of how to do the lining. It may seem to be putting the cart before the horse to think about livery before making the model, but research takes time and everything I read about lining says: practice, practice, practice – and that takes time too.
Craven, when he was chief engineer of the LB&SCR from 1847 to 1869 used a livery based on Brunswick Green. According to “Locomotives of the LB&SCR Part 1”, when No.96 was delivered to Kensington in 1869, it was painted “dark green with red lining”. It also says that “Under Stroudley… the Brunswick Green… remained for most engines until withdrawl.”
The picture above of 359 must have been taken between 1877 and 1886, so well within the Stroudley era. As a comparison, I took a black and white photographed of the Hornby Terrier “Merton”, painted in “Improved Engine Green” livery.
There may be some difference in colour rendition between the two photographic systems 150 years apart in technology but it is very clear that 359 is not in “Improved Engine Green” livery. On the left, there is no contrast between the name panel and the body; also the name itself shows lighter on a dark background, while the IEG livery shows the name as darker on a light background and a very clear contrast between the body and the name panel.
On the RMWwb Forum, there is an interesting discussion on the “Hayling Island” engine started by “mikesndbs”. Mike’s father had built a model of “Hayling Island”, which had a green livery with red lining.
Others disagreed and said that it should be IEG.
But if you render this image in black and white, it is clearly completely different from the original image of 359.
My conclusion, others may disagree, is that 359 was still painted in Brunswick Green with what appears to be a simple single red lining. This is actually a bit of a relief as the red lining on the Brunswick Green livery is much simpler for a novice like me!
This is backed up by the fact that “Inspector” (rebuilt from "Haying Island"), when it left the shop in 1890, was also clearly not in Improved Engine Green but in a single dark colour with a single simple line; again, the name is in a very much lighter colour than the background.
Interestingly, while researching on the internet, I found pictures of many scratch built models of “Inspector” and, without exception, they were painted in the “Improved Engine Green” livery. Very happy to hear from anyone who has any evidence that I am mistaken in my conclusion on Hayling Island's livery..
In the meantime, the chassis is started – but that is another story, which will be continued when I’ve got it to work!